Beef is as Detrimental to Your Health as Smoking Cigarettes!
Disclaimer: I am conditioned with sattvik life style and a staunch follower of vegetarianism. I do not want to influence my biased views in this article. So I do not want to comment on political, religious and economic aspects of beef ban.
All of you know that Beef has a high amount of saturated fat, which harms your heart. Saturated fats elevate low-density lipoprotein (LDL), a bad form of cholesterol. Because beef has a high concentration of fat, it is high in calories. All known facts.
But, did you know the following facts?
– Eating beef delivers L-carnitine to bacteria that live in the human gut. These bacteria digest L-carnitine and turn it into a compound called trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO). TMAO has been shown to cause atherosclerosis, the disease that leads to cholesterol-clogged arteries that can lead to heart attacks.
– Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are chemicals formed when muscle meat, is cooked. HCAs and PAHs have been found to be mutagenic—that is, they cause changes in DNA that may increase the risk of cancer. You are also providing a cancerous DNA for your children.
– Women who consume beef are more likely to contract type-2 diabetes.
– Eating beef raises certain iron-constituent levels in brain which would increase the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
– Grilled beef, which contain high levels of advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) will result in worsening of many degenerative diseases, including diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.
– Mad cow disease, which is not only fatal but kills you within fourteen months of diagnosis. Mostly it goes without diagnosis and death would be attributed to something else.
– Consumption of beef and processed beef is linked with a substantial increase in the risk of cancer in the lower colon and rectum.
– Beef contains high levels of N-nitroso compounds (NOCs), which are potentially cancer-causing chemicals
– The lean finely textured beef (LFTB), or pink slime is a meat additive contains fatty bits of leftover meat that’s heated, spun to remove the fat, and then treated with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. It’s then shipped off to grocery stores and meat packers, where the slime is added to ground beef (70% of supermarket ground beef contains the additive).
– The beef you buy from stores is pumped full of hormones to make it grow faster and antibiotics to prevent disease. No one really knows what a combination of several chemicals, hormones and antibiotics will do to you. (The same situation applicable for all food items, but it is proven that some chemicals specific to beef are very dangerous)
– Laboratory results have shown that dioxin is present in beef. Dioxin will make us vulnerable to a wide range of effects, including cancer, depressed immune response, nervous system disorders, miscarriages, and birth deformities. Dioxins are potent human carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, reproductive disruptors and immune disruptors.
– Beef eating girls are more prone to be obesity.
– Beef contain protein that controls a growth hormone called IGF-I, which aids in body growth. Very high levels of IGF-I have been associated with an increased cancer risk.
-Ayurveda says beef has ability to increase Pitta and it can cause the body to become excessively acidic –especially if you are predominantly a Pitta type. In hot countries like India, it can cause congestion, leading to a variety of problems such as heart disease and skin disorders.
– Fear in animals during slaughter results in unnaturally high amounts of hormones that cause dramatic reduction of vitality and sexual potency in humans who eat the meat. When animals are killed, the pain and death stress induces hormonal release to the muscles, which are loads of chemicals corresponding negative emotions as well.
– People are addicted to beef for a couple of reason. First, eating meat increases eating desire due to purin in the meat. Second, people say they feel more energized due to high artificial hormone in the meat.
There are much more scientific studies that prove the dangers of beef eating. All scientific studies of various reputed international research institutes – references are available in all libraries. Do you need any further scientific evidences to ban yourself from eating beef?
Oh, yes. The human angle. When you kill a cow for meat, remember that it stays dead. All animals should have just as much right to live as humans do. The nature does not exist simply to be used or consumed by humans, but that humans are simply one species amongst many. Human beings are not inherently superior to other living things.
As a child, in all likelihood, you drank cow’s milk. I’d bet anything your first coloring book had outlines of cows on its pages. Has a cow ever done one mean thing to you?
By supporting cow slaughter, you are forbidding a calf of its mother’s love and care. From locking animals in tiny cages, to slicing parts of their bodies off, to genetically selecting them to grow so obese and so fast that many become lame, it’s by far the biggest cause of animal suffering in the world.
It’s sometimes so easy to forget that the steak on your plate was part of a living creature. But the path from livestock to entrée can be fraught with unbelievable animal cruelty. Leaving cows and other animals off your plate is easier than ever. You can now get tasty veggie burgers at numerous restaurants, including Burger King, Johnny Rockets, McDonalds and Ruby Tuesday.
Can’t we eat cruelty-free, non-violent food ?
You can say many other food items are also bad. But here the question is not about other items, it is about beef. Other foods are equally bad and not beneficial for human beings is not a valid argument to substantiate beef eating.
And, I am not buying any argument that human can eat beef. As I know we are descended from apes. Their diets consist of nuts, fruits and berries. There is nothing in the human anatomy that endows us to kill other animals with our bare hands (like other animals do) without assistance from weapons. Ask yourself – when you see a cow on the side of the road, do you salivate? Do you daydream about killing a cow with your bare hands and eating them raw?
The Bible compares the killing of cow to murdering a man: “He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man.” (Isaiah 66.3)
Albert Einstein said: “Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.”
The Worldwatch Institute says, “In a world where an estimated one in every six people goes hungry each day, the politics of meat consumption are increasingly heated, since meat production is an inefficient use of grain—the grain is used more efficiently when consumed directly by humans. Continued growth in meat output is dependent on feeding grain to animals, creating competition for grain between affluent meat-eaters and the world’s poor.”
Let’s share and care. Let’s get connected:
WhatsApp Number: +919447533409
Twitter: Udaylal Pai
Book: Why Am I a Hindu (The Science of Sanatan Dharma). For kindle and international paperback, please visit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9PAGLT For Indian paperback (print) edition only: http://prachodayat.org/why-am-i-a-hindu/
© Uday Lal Pai. Please contact the author for re-posting or publishing at firstname.lastname@example.org